Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fabulous Cheater Fajitas

I usually recommend making your own spice blends, but sometimes those taco kits are such a great deal they're hard to pass up!  We bought a case of these at a fire sale this year and I had to find a way to use them all up without getting sick of ground meat tacos.

So, what did I do with them?  I make fajitas!  Might I add that they are fast and faaanntastic!

Ingredients
  • 1 soft taco kit (I have El Paso, but they are all pretty much the same)
  • 1 lb chicken breast
  • 1 bell pepper (I prefer red or yellow)
  • 1 large white onion
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 TBSP lime juice (lemon will work if it's what you have)
  • dash of cayenne or chili powder
  • fajita garnish ie: sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, rice, refried beans
Directions

In a jar mix your citrus juice, oil, pepper and the seasoning packet from your taco kit; shake until well combined.  Slice the chicken into strips about 3" long and about as thick as your thumb.  Put the marinade and chicken into a gallon sized zip top bag.  I recommend doing this in the morning...this is especially great after it has had 4-6 hours to marinade.  I sometimes do this the night before.
When you're ready to cook slice the bell pepper and onion into 1/4-1/2" strips.  Toss them in a little bit of oil.
I use a vegetable grate on the grill to cook both meat and veggies but you could do this inside on a grill pan, cast iron skillet or any heavy bottomed frying pan.
Over medium heat cook the veggies until yielding and slightly charred, but not overly done.  Remove your veggies and cook your chicken.  This won't take more than a few minutes because they are small pieces, so don't go anywhere.
Once everything is cooked toss it together and serve up with your favorite condiments.  Personally I think these are tasty as is and I usually just spoon it onto a plate and devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment