Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tomato Cucumber Salad, Revisited

Ok, so I realize I haven't yet blogged about the original tomato and cucumber salad, but it's so simple I don't know if it even garners its own post.
(For those of you who have never had it...tomato+cucumber+bottled vinaigrette=tomato cucumber salad.)
Right now I have a plethora of farmer's market vegetables, so I raided the produce drawer and the fruit bowl and created, what I think, is a more interesting version.
While I usually take the time to make a vinaigrette I typically turn to bottled dressing for this just because it comes together so quickly.

Ingredients
  • 1 vine ripe tomato or 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 handful of basil leaves
  • 3 sweet or banana peppers
  • 1 small yellow, red or white onion
  • 1/4 c. bottled or homemade vinaigrette
Directions

Cut all your vegetables into like sized 1/2 moon shapes.  When you do this seed the peppers and, if the skin is thick, peel the cucumber.  I choose to squeeze some of the seeds out of the tomato as well (it helps prevent your salad from becoming watery).  Chiffonade the basil.
Mix all the vegetables together and then pour on the dressing!  Voila--in approximately five minutes you've created a healthy, beautiful and filling side dish.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment