Monday, January 14, 2013

Chili Night

Today was a dismal day.  It was cloudy and it spit freezing rain down on us most of the afternoon.  I had a pound of ground beef in the fridge and today just screamed chili day.
I've been working for a while to come up with a good chili recipe that both the hubs and I could agree on.  I like it spicy, he likes it mild.  I like it full of beans and veggies, he likes it full of meat.  You can see how this could be problematic.
Well I've finally come up with something we can both agree on.  The beef could easily be substituted for turkey and the kidney beans could be black if that's your preference.

Ingredients
1 lb kidney beans, soaked or quick soaked
1 lb ground beef (I used 85/15 ground chuck)
1 white onion, diced
1 chipotle in adobo**
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
3 cups water
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Directions
In an 8qt pot cook the beef, onion and garlic over high heat until the beef is cooked through.  Add the chipotle, chili powder, cumin and salt.  Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Cover with the lid ajar and reduce to a simmer.
 Cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.  After 2 hours taste and adjust seasoning. 
Serve with cheese, lime, onion and sour cream.  Enjoy it!

**The chipotle in adobo comes in small cans that usually have about 12 peppers.  After opening I store the peppers in a zip top bag in the freezer.  When I need some I just break off a piece.  I find it's easiest to mince it while it's frozen.  Be careful not to rub your eyes if it's on your fingers!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment