Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sugar Cookies

I've been MIA the last few days; sorry!  We've been getting ready to host family and celebrate Sophie's SECOND birthday!  There's so much exciting activity in the Ellis house right now.

Today I made the dough for Sophie's birthday cookies.  I've tried many recipes for butter and sugar cookies and by far the best is Alton Brown's sugar cookie recipe.  They roll out beautifully, keep their shape when baked, maintain freshness and above all, taste great.  I follow his recipe with 2 exceptions.  I add 1/2 tsp vanilla and I roll my cookies with flour, not powdered sugar.  These are a great base for alternative flavors.  Add 1 tsp lemon zest or 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg for zesty bright cookies.

I'll be baking a cake for her as well, but I think cookies are a fun way control the amount of sugar the kids are getting.  I'll be bringing you the cake recipe and photos on Saturday.  For now pardon my silence and enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment